Monday, January 20, 2014

The Wheel of Life and the New Year....

So 2014 is here and upon us! Wow. Do you have any Goals or Plans for the new year? This is the time of year that I usually take an inventory and map out where I am headed. It helps to get some focus and direction at the start of the year. When I was growing up my dad used to say "If you aim at nothing....you'll hit it." It helps to have a little map when you are on a journey...I like not to be aimless. My wife appreciates it also.

For the last several years I felt like like God has given me a theme for that year. A few years ago He told me it was a Year to Dig my Own Well. Last year it was the Year of Preparation. This year I feel like he is saying it is the Year of Growth.

(Side note - a few years earlier when I felt it was the Year of being a Male Model...I kind of missed that one. Yup.....actually totally missed it.) That was a joke....everyone knows I am a foot model.

Personally, I have found that I do much better and stay on track when I keep things simple. I also like to make goals as practical, measurable, and attainable as possible. (Google SMART goals) I also don't try the "take over the world in one year" approach like I used to....you must learn to pace yourself.
So, this last year I stumbled onto a really cool tool that has helped me map out things a little better. It provides a larger "blank map" to look at all the important aspects our our life. I discovered it on the Dave Ramsey Entree Leadership Podcast (which is awesome) and it is called the Wheel of Life and was developed by Zig Ziglar.


The Wheel of Life

It is a simple circular chart that covers all the major areas of our life. Simple, but very helpful. It has helped me get a good set of goals and has made me aware of areas that I may be ignoring. Let me share a few tips that helped me when using this tool.

Some years you may focus on some areas more than others and that is OK. Also, some areas will flow and tie into others because they are interconnected. For example, this year I am going back to school to complete my degree in Management. So, this year the Intellectual, Career and Financial goals are going to largely consist of obtaining this degree. About five years ago we got debt free and a good part of that year was focused on the Financial. The last couple years I have been focused on ministry and the Spiritual area had a primary role.

Some goals will remain the same once you have a healthy balance in that area. This year my Physical goals will remain the same, going to the gym twice a week and mountain biking once a week. Spending daily time in the Word and in prayer since it has become a Spiritual habit. Anyways...you get the idea. There may be an area or two of your life that needs the be the primary focus for this year.

Keep in mind while you may be focused more in one area than another none of these areas can be ignored without eventually catching up to you. I would strongly encourage you to have a goal for each of these areas....no matter how small.

Take a look at the Wheel of Life in and start to write your goals. As you look at each of these areas pray through it and ask the Lord what He is saying to you. You'll be amazed that if you just ask, listen, and write what you will find.

This year is going to be good. Map out the land and then start walking.

It will be Christmas again before you know it.

If you want a Word document of the Wheel of Life provide me your e-mail and I will send it to you. I won't send you extra stuff and will respect your privacy.

Additional Resource from Zig Ziglar - Wheel of Life Goal Planning

2 comments:

Jan M said...

Good word and instruction Mike. Send me that doc. I love learning as much as I can; especially practical, logical steps I can work like this.
If I ever need a model if I start an entertainment business again, I'll remember you. :)

Unknown said...

I was great to start the year with a clear focus. Great blog Mike!