Monday, January 6, 2014

What I wish I knew at Twenty...

So, I am about to turn forty this year (Aug 24th - I love tattoo $) and I am ready. I am serious...bring it on...I feel I have yet to peak...don't judge. I have a little more wisdom than I used to have....I have a family which I love... and more peace and happiness. More stress....but better able to cope. So.... I had this daydream the other day. What would I say to my twenty year old self that had just started walking with God?

 Here are my thoughts from 39 year old Michael to the young buck.


1) You don't have to figure your whole life out in the next few years. (Read START by Jon Acuff) Your spending too much time and energy trying to figure out the rest of your life and how that lines up with God's will. An incredibly small percentage of people in their early twenties have a clear "life path" that they stay with. Your heart is in the right place, but your are paralyzing yourself with the fear of making a wrong life decision. Concentrate on seeking and knowing God, building friendships, serving, and developing strong character. If these things are a priority then the rest will fall into line. These are the things that are going to last no matter where you go or what direction your life and career take you.


2) Learn to understand Grace and what that really looks like lived out in your life. Grace is something that you will be learning and living the rest of your life. But, having a foundation of Grace will allow you to actually enjoy your relationship with God. If you constantly feel you are not doing enough and don't measure up no matter how much you spend time with God or serve... this is an issue. You don't have to constantly prove yourself to God and experience all these extreme emotional valleys and mountain tops. He really loves you. accepts you, and sent Jesus to bring you into an awesome relationship. Quit striving to do all these works to prove you are a radical disciple to Him and everyone else. Learn to receive His love and to rest in Grace.


3) Mike, you never really applied yourself in school and were not a great student. So, don't think just because you now have a relationship with God that overnight you should be an "A" student and all those bad habits are going to fall away overnight. Learn how to build on a series of small wins and get some of those under your belt. You'll do alright. 


4) Don't be afraid of making money. It does not make you more spiritual to be barely scraping by. Yes, I know you see the error of the prosperity gospel, but your overreaction to that message is only hindering you. There are those who really love God that depend on me for the next dollar and others that are rich with plenty. Money is in the attitude of the heart. Don't pigeonhole God.


5) Start giving your money and tithing. You think you are this spiritual leader and lover of God. You have yet to yield your finances to God. This area of your life is a mess and you have not allowed Him into it. He wants to set you free and bless you and bring you into a deeper level of trust with Him. You deceive yourself to think you are super spiritual and have no trust in this area of life.



No comments: